In 1954 plans were underway to reduce tuition, create a
paid internship and shorten the preclinical period of UUSN. These preliminary
plans developed into the establishment of Albany Medical Center School of
Nursing, a three-year diploma program under
ís board of governors. In 1958 the Educational Unit and McDonald Lounge were
dedicated. At one time AMCSN was the largest diploma nursing program in
. The first male nursing student graduated in 1961. In 1973 an affiliation was
for six college courses for a total of 21 college credits. In 1983, AMCSN
contracted with the
for five three-credit courses. In 1982, nursing was acknowledged as an
autonomous profession with the passage of the Nurse Practice Act, which
distinguished between nursing practice and medical practice. Fewer nurses were
entering practice from hospital nursing schools while more were graduating from
associate or bachelor of science degree programs.
This trend led to the demise of AMCSN in 1989.
return to index